Ministry and Prayer Verse
Lord, lead us to those with special needs so that we can minister to them. Help us to create an environment that welcomes, embraces, and provides for them. Give us hearts to understand and serve them and their families. Most of all, let them see Jesus in everything we say and do. Amen.
“Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.” Isaiah 49:16
God made each of us unique, but all for one purpose…to glorify and honor Him. It is His plan for all people to worship him. For those with special needs, it can sometimes be a great challenge to join with the body of Christ for corporate study and worship, but we desire to make it possible for everyone. Through our U Matter Ministry, children of all ages are provided special assistance and accommodations. We have a well-equipped Sensory Room to assist children with sensory needs or anxiety. The room includes special lighting, sound, flooring, padded walls, calming equipment, and tools to help expel excessive energy. Children that can be mainstreamed into a regular Sunday School class and/or worship can have an aide as well as access to the Sensory Room and portable equipment. We also have a dedicated room for teaching children with greater needs.
It is our hope that these children can enjoy worship time, and our trained staff will do their very best to make this possible. In parallel, we invite you to join Sunday School and worship free from any concerns about your son or daughter.
You may easily unload under the covered drive-thru at the north end of the building and take an immediate left. Greeters at the information desk will direct you to the classroom. Phone calls in advance are welcome (but not required) so that we are better prepared to meet your child’s individual needs. You may call Stacey Givens at 256-232-7771
|Sundays||9:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.|
|5:00 p.m. - 7:15 p.m. (Aides during AWANA)|
|Wednesdays||5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (Aides during Music and Missions)|
*We encourage people to let us know before they visit so that we can learn as much as possible about the child and his/her needs. However, we welcome ANYONE to come unannounced.
For the child’s benefit and safety, an In-Take and Medical Form must be completed by an adult before leaving the child.
Nurse on Call
- Certified Nurse
- Background check
- Available on-site during ministry hours
- Able to respond immediately, provide medical attention, and make emergency calls if necessary
- Scheduled or on-call
- Background check
- Trained to assist children with special needs
- Provide scheduled and necessary, immediate sensory breaks
- Assist with feeding and hygiene/bathroom requirements
- Assist in the classroom or sensory room
- Children or teens with a compassionate heart
- Assist teachers and aides
- Model appropriate behavior
What We Offer
- Love and understanding
- A safe and sensory friendly environment
- Continued training to our leaders and aides
- Intake with family (Coffee and Conversation) to better understand and prepare
- Bible lessons that are mental age appropriate and in short segments
- Periodic visits from Aides in mainstream classrooms along with assistance when needed
- Sensory tools and alternative seating in mainstream classrooms when needed
- Modified classroom for those with greater needs
- Scheduled sensory breaks provided by Aides
- On-call medical assistance
- Respite care
- Birthday parties
Respite care will be provided for families on Sundays from 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. upon request. We encourage families to use this time to rest, spend dedicated time with other family members, or take care of family needs. To arrange for respite care, please contact Stacey Givens at 256-683-3617. We kindly ask that you give at least 24 hours, notice.
Party venues are difficult for many children with special needs. Our Sensory Room is available for children with special needs to invite a few friends for a one-hour celebration. A second space is available for cake, etc. The room can be rented for $25 by contacting Stacey Givens at 256-683-3617. If the child has difficulty making friendships, several children from the First Baptist Children’s Ministry will be asked to attend.
God the Father
Ministry Advocate Advisor
Nurses On Call