The purpose of the Missions Committee Ministry is to encourage and guide church members’ involvement in obeying and fulfilling both the Great Commandment (Mark 12:28-31) and the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20).
Strategies of the Committee
We will seek God’s guidance as we look for opportunities to meet needs locally and throughout the world. (Acts 1:8) We endeavor to work with other local churches, government agencies, missionaries, and SBC agencies to advance the Gospel of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Responsibilities of the Committee
- In cooperation with other church ministries, we will promote missions in the following ways:
- Cooperative Program
- Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for International Missions
- Annie Armstrong Easter Offering for North American Missions
- Kathleen Mallory Offering for Alabama WMU
- World Hunger Offering
- Alabama Baptist Children’s Home and Family Ministry Offering
- Local Mission Offerings – offerings include opportunities such as LCCI, LifeLine, and Rescue Mission Ministries (Tennessee Valley Outreach and Downtown, Huntsville)
- Limestone County Churches Involved
- We will seek mission opportunities to offer to members of First Baptist Athens.
- We will work with churches, SBC agencies, and other groups in order to meet the needs of those who share in our Christian faith.
- Non-members of FBCA are welcome to go on our planned trips, if there are open slots that have NOT been filled by FBCA members. While they are welcome to participate, they are expected to pay for their own expenses.
- We will review financial aid requests from members of Fist Baptist Athens desiring to go on mission trips.
- We will allot funds to projects and individuals based on need, number of applicants, and availability of funds.
- We will use a variety of media to communicate the opportunities for our fellow church members to participate in missions.
- The Missions Committee will provide funds, as needed, for staff members of First Baptist Athens who desire to go on a mission trip.